About The Learning Turtle
Click the tabs above to learn more about us!
Laura Mayer, the owner of The Learning Turtle, has been working in education for over 10 years and privately tutoring students since she began. In the fall of 2013, she decided to officially start her own company. From private school to public; from learning centers to tutoring companies; from preschool to college; from English to math; from gifted/honors to special education, Laura’s experience gives her a unique perspective to build a tutoring company and a multitude of skills to help any student achieve steady success.
How We’re Different
Most schools, learning centers, tutoring companies, and education professionals believe that if a student is having difficulty in a subject, that student should simply practice that subject. This is called training in subject skills. Students often benefit from this type of practice but not entirely. There is often an underling reason why a student faces academic difficulty. If the foundational reasons are not addressed, the student will continue to flounder year after year.
We evaluate on a deeper level. We can find out if anything is impeding your student from achieving steady success. Using a holistic method based in educational psychology we can assess your student’s foundational strengths and weakness. Then we create an individualized Action Plan to address the problem areas directly with foundational, cognitive training. This creates a fertile ground for learning in subject areas which we also practice during each session.
We want your student to succeed in not one subject but in all academic areas. We want your student to not just succeed this year in math or English but every year. That’s what cognitive training does: It prepares the mind to acquire knowledge now and knowledge later. It gives a student steady success.
- in supporting the whole student: psychologically, socially, cognitively, and physiologically.
- that every student is an individual and should be treated that way.
- that intelligence is NOT fixed. It can be trained!
- that the student, parent(s), and the tutor work together as a team.
- that every student deserves quality educational support and educators deserve a fair wage.
- that achievements are obtained steadily; and therefore small successes should be acknowledged.
- in mastery beyond rigor.
- in making a lasting, positive difference in the lives of our students and in the methodology of our education system.
- We believe that EVERY family should be able to afford extra academic help and that highly-educated professionals deserve to be paid a livable wage. Therefore we strive to be fair to BOTH.
- However, every tutor charges differently based on his or her education and experience.
- See the chart below to compare our average base price to both national and local companies. (Click to enlarge it.)